One component often goes overlooked when it comes to getting the most out of your FG Falcon Power Steering Pump. But did you know that upgrading or modifying your power steering pump can significantly impact your vehicle’s overall performance?
What is an FG Falcon Power Steering Pump?
The FG Falcon Power Steering Pump is a crucial component in the power steering system of the FG Falcon. This pump pressurises the power steering fluid and sends it through the power steering system, allowing for easier and more precise steering control. With a functioning power steering pump, steering an FG Falcon can become easier and more dangerous, especially at higher speeds or when making sharp turns. The power steering pump allows you complete control over your car’s steering, regardless of driving conditions.
Benefits of Upgrading Your Steering Pump
Your car’s steering system plays a critical role in your driving experience, especially when it comes to handling and control. Your power steering pump supplies hydraulic power to the steering rack and makes it easier to turn the wheel. However, not all power steering pumps are created equal.
If you’re looking for more power and control while driving your FG Falcon, upgrading your power steering pump is one way to achieve it. Here are some benefits you can expect from upgrading your power steering pump:
- Better Steering Response: You can expect faster and more responsive steering with a high-performance power steering pump. It means you can make turns easily and precisely, even at higher speeds.
- Reduced Steering Effort: If you’ve ever struggled with turning the wheel, you know how exhausting it can be. With an upgraded power steering pump, you’ll experience less effort to turn the wheel. It translates to a more comfortable and enjoyable driving experience.
- Improved Stability: A high-quality power steering pump will keep your steering stable, especially when driving on uneven terrain or in challenging weather conditions. You’ll be able to easily maintain control of your car thanks to the increased hydraulic power that comes with an upgraded pump.
- Enhanced Performance: A high-performance power steering pump can help enhance your overall driving performance, especially during spirited or on the track. With more power and control, you can push your FG Falcon to its limits and achieve a thrilling driving experience.
Overall, upgrading your FG Falcon power-steering pump can help improve your driving experience in several ways. Whether you’re looking for better handling, improved stability, or enhanced performance, a high-quality power steering pump is a must-have upgrade for any serious driver.
Choosing the Right Power Steering Pump for Your FG Falcon
When upgrading your power steering pump, selecting the right one for your specific make and model is essential. Here are some factors to consider when choosing a power steering pump for your FG Falcon:
- Pump Capacity: The power steering pump should have enough capacity to handle your vehicle’s load. Check your owner’s manual for the recommended capacity, or consult a mechanic.
- Pump Type: Two types of power steering pumps are available for FG Falcons – a mechanical pump and an electric pump. Mechanical pumps are traditional and operate off the engine’s crankshaft, while electric pumps use an electric motor. The choice between the two largely depends on personal preference and specific needs.
- Brand: There are a variety of power steering pump brands on the market. Look for well-known and reputable brands in the industry for a long time. Research and read reviews from other Falcon owners to find the best option for your vehicle.
- Compatibility: Make sure your chosen power steering pump is compatible with your FG Falcon’s existing power steering system. If you’re unsure, consult a mechanic to determine compatibility and avoid costly mistakes.
- Budget: As with any vehicle upgrade, budget is an important consideration. The cost of power steering pumps varies depending on the brand, type, and quality. Select a pump that fits your budget and delivers the needed performance.
How to Install Your Power Steering Pump?
Installing a new power steering pump on your FG Falcon can be daunting, but with the right tools and knowledge, you can easily do it yourself. Here are the steps to follow:
- Step 1: Remove the old power steering pump: Start by removing the old power steering pump. Drain the fluid first and disconnect all the hoses and electrical connectors. Finally, remove the mounting bolts securing the engine block pump.
- Step 2: Prepare the new power steering pump: Once you have removed the old pump, you must prepare the new one. It includes transferring any pulleys, brackets, or other parts from the old pump to the new one. Make sure everything is securely fastened and ready to go.
- Step 3: Install the new power steering pump: Now it’s time to install it. Position it carefully and tighten the mounting bolts securely. Then, carefully reattach all the hoses and electrical connectors, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Step 4: Fill the power steering fluid: With the new pump installed, it’s time to fill the reservoir. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock several times to bleed the system and ensure everything works correctly. Then, check the fluid level and top it up if necessary.
Symptoms of a Failing Power Steering Pump in FG Falcons
The power steering system of your FG Falcon is essential to the car’s overall performance and handling. One of the critical components of this system is the power steering pump. A failing power steering pump can lead to various issues, compromising your car’s drivability and safety. Here are some signs that indicate your Falcon power steering pump may be failing:
- Difficulty Turning the Wheel: One of the primary indications of a failing power steering pump is difficulty turning the wheel. You may experience a lack of power steering assistance or stiffness when you attempt to steer. If you have to apply more force than usual to turn the wheel, it could be due to a weak power steering pump.
- Whining or Squealing Noises: If you hear unusual whining or squealing sounds when turning the wheel, it could indicate a power steering pump that is low on fluid or is failing. A worn-out or damaged power steering pump can make quite distinctive noises.
- Leaking Power Steering Fluid: A leaking power steering pump will lose power steering fluid. If you notice fluid puddles under your FG Falcon, it could indicate that your power steering pump is leaking. A low power steering fluid level can cause damage to the power steering pump and other steering components.
- Shaking or Vibrations in the Steering Wheel: A failing power steering pump can cause vibrations or shaking in the steering wheel when you’re driving. This symptom usually occurs when you’re turning, accelerating, or braking. If you’re experiencing this issue, it’s advisable to have your power steering system inspected.
- Unusual Burning Smell: A failing power steering pump can also emit an unusual burning smell. This scent can come from the power steering fluid when it becomes overheated due to the pump’s failure.
Performance Enhancements: Aftermarket Power Steering Pump Options
If you want to unleash even more power and control from your FG Falcon’s steering system, consider upgrading to an aftermarket power steering pump. These pumps are designed with high-performance materials and innovative engineering, delivering more consistent and reliable power to your steering system.
Several popular options for aftermarket power steering pumps for the FG Falcon offer unique benefits and advantages. Some popular brands include Aeroflow, Holley, and KRC Power Steering. Here are a few key features to consider when selecting an aftermarket power steering pump:
- Increased flow rate: Some aftermarket power steering pumps have a higher flow rate than the standard factory pump, which can help improve steering responsiveness and control.
- Adjustable pressure: With an adjustable pressure setting, you can fine-tune your steering system to your preferences and driving style.
- Improved durability: Many aftermarket power steering pumps are made with higher-quality materials, such as aluminium or billet steel, which can improve longevity and resistance to wear and tear.
One thing to keep in mind when selecting an aftermarket power steering pump is compatibility with your specific FG Falcon model and year. You’ll want to ensure that your pump is designed to work seamlessly with your existing steering system and that any necessary modifications or additional parts are accounted for in your installation plan.
Tips for Maintaining and Extending the Life of the FG Falcon Power Steering Pump
Your FG Falcon’s power steering pump is an essential component that gives your vehicle the power and control needed to steer effectively. Without proper care, the power steering pump can fail prematurely, causing steering problems and affecting your vehicle’s overall performance. In this section, we’ll discuss some tips for maintaining and extending the life of your FG Falcon Power Steering Pump.
- Regular Inspections: The most crucial aspect of maintaining your FG Falcon’s power steering pump is to conduct regular inspections. Check the pump’s fluid level, hoses, and belt regularly. Look for signs of wear, such as leaks, cracks, or fraying, and replace any damaged components immediately.
- Use the Right Fluid: Using the right power steering fluid can significantly affect the longevity of your power steering pump. Use the fluid recommended in your owner’s manual, and avoids using generic or cheap fluids that could damage your pump’s internal components.
- Flush the System: Flush your power steering system every 30,000 miles to remove any debris and contaminants that may accumulate over time. Contaminants in the system can cause your pump’s internal components to wear out prematurely.
- Don’t Overwork the Pump: Avoid putting unnecessary stress on your power steering pump by not turning the wheel when the vehicle is not in motion. Doing so can cause the pump to overwork and wear out prematurely.
- Keep Your Wheels Aligned: Proper wheel alignment reduces unnecessary stress on your power steering pump. Ensure your wheels are aligned regularly to reduce the pump’s workload and increase lifespan.
The Power Steering Pump is essential to your car’s steering system, allowing for smooth and effortless steering. Upgrading or replacing your power steering pump can unleash its full potential and improve your driving experience significantly.
|Other Good Articles to Read|
|Niche Blogs Connect|
|Blogs Cotch Rouge|